5 Tips to Strengthen Your Immune System
It’s time to focus on empowerment and hope. In today’s climate of fear and uncertainty about COVID-19, there is a major component missing in the narrative being circulated. In our race to gather supplies, socially distance ourselves and wash hands and surfaces more prudently, we’ve forgotten to care for and fortify our secret weapon. I’m talking about our body and its amazing immune system! It is important to follow the CDC guidelines for prevention, but here I want to focus on ways you can build a resilient and robust immune system. By properly caring for our bodies, we are able to fight off viruses and other pathogens we come into contact with daily. In the midst of the disruptions we are experiencing, let’s shift the focus to empowering ourselves and becoming more resilient. Below are my 5 tips to strengthen your immune system and build ongoing health resiliency.
1. Eat Nutrient-Dense Foods.
In the midst of added stress from schedules changing, feeling uncertain, and spending more hours of the day inside, it can be tempting to grab processed convenience foods. However, these highly-processed foods contain chemical preservatives, dyes, artificial sweeteners and unhealthy fats that drive inflammation in the body. Inflammation decreases the body’s ability to fight off infection. Instead of processed foods, reach for eggs, nuts & seeds, whole fruits and veggies, leafy greens, wild-caught fish, and grass-fed or pastured meats.
How does this look in ‘Real Life’? Here are a few ideas:
* Add kale, spinach or other leafy greens and veggies to smoothies, frittatas, or scrambled eggs.
* Add some grass-fed butter or olive oil and unrefined sea salt to steamed vegetables. This helped my kids enjoy veggies more.
* Experiment with roasting vs. grilling vs. steaming fresh vegetables.
* Hard-boil eggs to keep in the fridge to grab as a snack, breakfast, or to add to salads.